In August 1927, Miss Mabel Connor, with the help of a small group of animal lovers, established the Augusta Humane Society. This organization is the predecessor of the present Kennebec Valley Humane Society (KVHS). Due to the generosity of several local humanitarians, the society was eventually able to build a facility specifically designed for animals. Construction on Pet Haven Lane began in 1961. The original building was named in honor of Miss Connor. Later the Bradstreet-Carpenter Wing was added. In 1973 the State of Maine passed the Leash Law. This law required that each municipality be responsible for all stray animals. Soon the KVHS was providing services to over 23 communities. The facility that was built in 1961 was now flooded with more than 3000 incoming animals from 23 communities each year. Space was not adequate, and there was no separate holding area for animals brought in by Animal Control officers. Talk of a new shelter began in 1992 and in 1997 the Homeward Bound Campaign to raise $1 million dollars was underway. After eight years of planning, fund raising, and construction the dream became a reality. On April 15, 2000 the public was invited to the Grand Opening Ceremony of the William and Elsie Viles Homeward Bound Wing. Thanks to the tremendous support from Central Maine area businesses and individuals, the KVHS has a new and renovated state of the art facility where optimum care is provided for stray, abandoned, and abused animals in our area. Please stop in and visit us today.